Sunday 2 March 2014

Viaduct WL Round4

I would like to start this weeks blog with a huge congrats to one of my best fishing buddies James Knight who told me the great news that him and his partner Amy were expecting their first baby in September. I have supported him over the past years with numerous pounds from his better drawing sequences so maybe he can put them towards nappies now. 
This really put me in a good mood and I thought I may now get a good draw today. It was my turn for Campbell lake which is so peggy at the moment I was really hoping for 1 of about 10 pegs. These would be 110 and 132 at the closest end because they always hold a few fish down the edges and end bank  and then the normal fliers of 115,116,118,119,123,124,125,126. Only 9 Pegs to stay away from then and out comes peg 112. This is a good summer peg and can hold a good range of silvers in winter but with nearly every peg in including 111 and 113, the normal space it has in opens was not available. 

I got to the peg and I had my good old welsh mate Glyn Reynolds next to me on 111, so this would be another nugget head to head and chris fox on 113. After last match's total mess up I thought I would be a lot more positive as there would be carp caught in numbers in the good pegs. I targeted 4 - 5 carp but in hindsight this would be a bit optimistic. I set up the normal lead and waggler for about 25 metres out, 1 x 16m pole rig for meat and casters, 7m caster line and then an edge rig just because foxy couldn't get past a tree and I thought I would push my limits a little. All this was set up with 40mins to spare so me and Glyn had a little walk to peg 116 for a chat with Mikey (protein shake) Williams, Timmy (bum fluff) Rowe and a weird Bivvy Boy looking Shaun Kitteridge. We had a good little giggle before the match especially taking the mickey and out of mikey and timmy using phrases like shoot your fat. I can't really go into to much details but it was funny all the same and this is what fishing is about, having a bit of banter and not being too serious all the time. Ok I am going a bit of subject here so back to the match.

Just before the start a carp rolled in front so I thought screw feeding and chuck straight away, this proved to work as 3 mins in and wack I have a pull round, a couple mins later and a 8lb mirror was safely in my net. Great Start. 15mins later and another pull, in which a slightly larger fish was pretty much in the net until it rolled over the hooklength and caused the hook to pull. Bugger didn't want to do that. I decided to now feed my 16m line and short line and then give the waggler a few chucks, this resulted in nothing. By this time 115,116 and 124 were catching a few fish. Glynn had a couple tench and chris not alot. Back on lead and I had one massive liner but not much else. This put me 2 hours in to the 5 hours and I was now a bit behind the pace, quick look down the edge on bread and I missed a bite, Chris then hooked a carp and a massive twig to which he said a few naughty words but he safely managed to land both and to be honest the twig was bigger. I had a look on meat and a bite straight away which resulted in a small common about 2lb, another look and another bite but I missed this one. Thought I would give the 16m line a look now and this gave me 1 missed bite and 1 small 6oz skimmer on 6mm meat. A quick look on short line with casters but a few small roach wasn't going to get me anywhere fast. For the next hour and half I spent swapping and changing the methods and baits but for no more bites. 30mins to go and I thought I will just sit on the 16m line until the end. 30 secs back in and float goes under, carp on but this was trying to swim towards his mates on 115 and then broke my 0.10 bottom. F**K Sake. 10mins left and I have 3 more bites to which I have 3 skimmers all about 1lb. Glynn ended with 4 tench and 2 skimmers, mainly caught on 13m pole with casters and Chris had 4 carp, 2 down edge and 2 he caught towards 114 while bobby g was fishing for silvers. 

I though I would fish on a little while waiting for scales. 5 mins on pole and I had a 2lb skimmer and 2lb tench, then tom thick wanted a go on the lead so I chucked it into 115 and in 2 casts we had 2 7lb carp. To put it simply I caught about 18lb of fish in 20mins after the match and I only weighed in 15lb 4oz all bloody 5 hours. You can not beat the drawing arm at the moment I am afraid. 

The match was won by Chris Sandford on 115 with 166lb, Mikey was 2nd off 116 with 160lb (shoaled up much) I think I had 6 points as apart from pegs 111,128,129,130 and 131 (these pegs all in my area either opposite or next to me) all other people had at least 4 carp. Next week is the last round but I am not fishing because I am away in sussex on a Golfing weekend so this will be more down to me being shit rather than the draw. (If anyone wants to fill in for me your be on Cary)

Read Mike Nichols blog for weights and results.  


No comments:

Post a Comment